Paulding County Probate Court - Marriage Licenses

Welcome to the Marriage License Department of the Paulding County Probate Court.

The Paulding County Probate Court issues marriage licenses to Paulding County residents who wish to marry in Ohio, and those out-of-state residents wishing to marry in Paulding County.  The Probate Court has also been entrusted to maintain records of marriages.  Our goal is to serve the public in the most helpful and courteous manner possible.


Requirements for Marriage License

The following are the absolute minimum requirements for every applicant.  Please call the Probate Court at 419-399-8256 for additional requirements for minor applicants.

Applicants must be present at the time of application.

The fee for a marriage license is $40.00 (cash only).  We do not accept checks or debit or credit cards.

Applicants must each have a US government issued photo ID (i.e., Driver’s License, State ID, passport, VISA, etc.), or birth certificate.

Regarding residency and non-residency, Ohio residents wishing to marry in Ohio apply in the county where they reside.  Out-of-state residents wishing to marry in Ohio apply in the county in which they are getting married.

If either applicant has been married before, then a copy of each Decree of Divorce (or Dissolution) must be presented.  Note:  The copy of the decree presented should have the proper stamps and signatures showing it was in fact entered in the court, and we do not accept copies of separation agreements or custody papers.  If either applicant is a widow or widower, we do not require a Death Certificate.

The couple must get married within 60 days of the issuance of the license.  While there is no blood testing or waiting period, the license does expire 60 days after issuance.

The couple must swear, or affirm, that all information and testimony provided is true, correct, and complete.

The couple must sign their full names on the marriage license application.

The Application Process

Upon entering our office a couple will fill out an application or inform the Clerk that they have already completed an online application.

To complete an online application now, Click Here.  The clerk will verify your ID, divorce/dissolution decree and take your payment.  The Clerk will administer an oath before you sign your application, and you will then receive your marriage license.

In addition to receiving your marriage license, you will also receive a self-addressed return envelope.  This envelope is to be given by you to the officiator of your marriage.  The officiator will use this envelope to mail the completed Marriage Certificate, that is located on the bottom portion of the marriage license, to the Court.  The Marriage Certificate is very important; your marriage license will not be complete until it is returned to the Court.  The Certificate is what the Court uses to prepare a certified copy of your marriage license.

Order Certified Copies By Mail

To receive a copy of this legal document, either apply in person at the Clerk’s Office or fill out the form below.  Mail the form along with a self-addressed, stamped envelope, to the address posted on the form.  The cost is $3.00 per copy.  Send a Cashier’s Check, Money Order, or Check made out to “Paulding County Probate Court.”  In order for us to issue a certified copy the license must have been issued by the Paulding County Probate Court and must have been completed.

Application for Certified Copy of Marriage License – Coming Soon!

Marriage Officiants

Not just anyone can perform a marriage ceremony in the state of Ohio.  Marriages are to be performed by an ordained minister of any religious society or congregation within the state that is licensed to perform marriages; the Probate Court Judge or any other judge appointed as a probate judge; a Judge of a Municipal Court; the mayor of a municipal corporation in any county in which such municipal corporation wholly or partly lies; the superintendent of the state school for the deaf; or any religious society, in conformity with the rules and regulations of its church.

The county Probate Court cannot register a minister to solemnize marriages; that is done through the Ohio Secretary of State.  You may obtain information and a Minister’s License Application online from the Secretary of State’s web site at

Note:  You must contact the officiator of your choice and make prior arrangements for him/her to perform the marriage ceremony.